Saturday 17 June 2017

MY ADVICE TO BEGINNER PHOTOGRAPHERS



So this post is dedicated to talking about how i started and what I recommend for beginner photographers. 

I started taking photo's in my gran's back garden with two friends because we couldn't pay a photographer to do a "friendship" shoot for us. I used my brothers camera (which became my camera i used for 4 years until it literally broke) just taking pictures of my friends and then getting a make up artist and a local designer involved. From there i went into the modelling agencies where i would get the fresh/new models and sometimes if i was lucky i got a more experienced model (which makes a worlds difference).

After some time i was very excited to hear other more experienced photographers opinions and stories..but little did i know that asking them for advice would end up changing my work. I had some one tell me i did a great shoot but i shot at midday which was bad..so from then i never shot at midday ever again and even staying away from shooting in the sunlight. I had another photographer tell me what would make a good photo and what would make a bad photo and because i was so excited to learn and take better photos i would listen and think too hard about what i was told and made myself so confused.. i was listening to everyones opinions too much and not doing what worked for ME. Everyone has their own style and their own way of working and what works/worked best for them.

If i look at my photography when i started in 2011 and now i can really see how my work has changed of course but also i feel like my creativity changed too. Almost like now i am scared of being wrong.. scared of taking a bad photos that i would limit myself so much. Looking back i wish i didn't allow everyones opinions to effect me as much as i feel they did. I think it's important to take advice but not let it mould your style or way of seeing things.


I think i used to think too much on a shoot. I would think "what would be a good photo" and "what will others think of this shoot or photo".

Right now i am trying to meditate...yes, meditate to get my mind more calm on shoots and just..SHOOT.. shoot what i want and what i feel works. For so long i would shoot in fear and now i am trying to just shoot with my own creativity and no limits.

So... dont listen to everyones advice on your work and what is the "best photo" and DONT let anyone shut you down or make you feel like your work is not good enough.. Keep shooting with a strong mindset in the direction of success.

Also to forget what everyone else is doing and that this will take time. I can be very impatient but i learnt that over time all aspects of your photography start to improve. From understand your camera, to problem solving to post production to dealing with clients. When you are feeling down about your work, remember why you started in the first place and be your own support system..with some chocolate











No comments :

Post a Comment